Even the softest of hues can make a big difference.

Help end child hunger

Saturday, July 7, 2007

lucky day

I'm containing the tears. Trying hard to. Dad's here. Can't cry. Don't wanna cry.

One tear fell. Then another. No more. My hands are shaking as I held my phone. As I touch my face. As I write these lines. My friend is not here. I texted three. Two replied from the same number. I am not alone.

You have to be valued... you have to value yourself as well."

The lines make sense but I cannot hold it in my hand. If I could only go inside a mirror and stay inside for all time: a reflection of the eyes that stopped existing.

My intuition is flashing a warning sign; I am aware of the worst possibilities. But I'm helpless. I'm strong, but I'm helpless. If I could only let my tears flow, I'll be strong again, but a knock from my dad would cost me a lot. Pride, you might say. I don't want him to see me this weak. I've never cried in front of my dad. I've been angry in his presence, and often the anger was directed at him. But I haven't ever cried in front of papa.

Now, I am tempted to knock at his door and break down. But I won't. I want to, but I won't. I can't.

I want to go away. Walk. Get lost somewhere. Go to an isolated place. Or a crowded place. Where no one could hear my heart drown in its own addiction. Happiness. Misery.

Masochist.

7-7-7. 7/7/7. 777. Lucky numbers. Lucky day. Maybe for the rest of the people in the world.

Swallow me whole just so I can stop thinking. And feeling. And writing. Turn me into a lyric poem, with my personal tragedies and pains. And my luck. Such luck.

I've done my part well, I said to the Heavens on my way home. When will You ever do yours for me? I still exist. I'm also Your child.

Insurance cases. Torts. I'm damaged and unproductive.

Tried my best to be happy during his silence and coldness. To be patient. Understanding. Told my dad to stop being so cynical and self-righteous. That pessimism is bad. But as my spirit is crumbling down, I can't help but wish I were like that too. It's true. Idealism smashes your faith in the end, so much that you don't have to sit in the curb and wait for a car to ram against you. To crash into you.

I made patience my virtue but for whatever my efforts were worth, they obviously were wasted.

And so I wait for my niece, my 16 year-old niece, who's as childish and as unfeeling as can be, to come home. I'm hoping her presence can give me comfort somehow. Or that maybe she can make me forget my tears. Momentarily.

Maybe later, when all the lights are out, I'll let myself cry.

4 comments:

Borealis said...

Hay dot.. I don't know what to say.. Is it we who crave pain? Or suspending it, pushing ourselves as if our elasticity is infinite.. Yet dot, sometimes we can only take so much. And let's not push ourselves any further.. I don't know where they hide dot, happiness and love... How I wish I know where they are so I could just tell you where to look. Sometimes I wish for life to be a little kinder... Yet I would not stop praying... At least somehow I could take some strength from it. And courage. To face the world. Let's take our time dot. The rain would stop pouring and we will find the sun smiling. then we could say it's still a beautiful world after all. ;)

Lei said...

Wow. You're optimistic now.

Sangramos. Siempre.

nicona said...

Chang, I love this positive self!!!!Celebrate!!!!Drink!!!(ai, I can't man diay). Hang in there....the Positive shelf. It's a nice place.

Dot, Perhaps you've been hanging on the positive shelf for too long that once in a while, to keep things balanced, you have to have this moments of nega- vibes. At least, out of toomuch misery, onecan always have the best reason to write wonderful poems and essays.

i think he'sweird. really weird. you keep asking me what ,my intuition tells me. but i can't tell you that (as if i am in touch with my own intuitions), you alone know whereyou stand. as it is, things are hanging. suspended.

its like a poem, a difficult poem, equivocal, capable of different interpretations. No one can interpret this poem for you though, you have to choose the reading, the construction.

Basta, do not lose yourself along the way. It's nice to cry oncein a while. But its bad when we end up always on the crying end. The sun has to shine. The show must go on.

Lei said...

"The show must go on." Professionalism? Compartmentalization? I think people are starting to think I have epilepsy since I keep shaking my head - as if bad thoughts will be shaken out in the process. Haha!

Kataw-anan jud si Chang. Makalingaw. Another case of body snatchers. Nice, nice. Keep that up, Chang. You might just end up writing a nice inspirational or self-help book that idiots like me need. bwahahahah!