Even the softest of hues can make a big difference.

Help end child hunger

Saturday, December 1, 2007

Finding Polaris

It was the first time for me to see Orion's Belt. (Come to think of it, it was the first time I had been able to make out a constellation even though I had often prided myself for being good in connect-the-dots puzzle games, courtesy of Manila Bulletin.) Worse, even if I had actually passed all my science classes, it was just last night when it REALLY dawned to me that, yes, the earth rotates! All the while I had believed that the stars that twinkle in the night sky are permanently positioned in such a way that when you look out of the same window at night, you get to see the same stars. When daylight comes, you cannot see them anymore but they're still there: in the same place as you look out your window. They don't move. Neither do you. Yes. I am such a dumb prat.

The unbearable freezing temperature of the room at a Batangas resort, and the lost aircon remote as well as the fear of being electrocuted if I were to yank all the wires I see in pure rage, prompted me to traipse outside and snuggle close to the exhaust fan at the terrace. And then I looked up and listened.

The North Star, or Polaris, is at the end of the Little Dipper's handle, which arches toward a small cup formed by four stars. On the opposite side of Polaris is the constellation Cassiopeia. Travelers often use Polaris for navigation. Wanderers look to the North Star to find their way. There's a Native American tale about the origin of this star. It was said that a brave son tried to impress his father by climbing the tallest cliff he could find. Through difficult conditions he continued until he arrived the top of a very high mountain. The mountain was so tall that the son looked down on all the other mountains. Unfortunately, there was no way down. When his father came looking for him, he found his son stuck high above. Not wanting his son to suffer for his bravery, he turned his son into a star that can be viewed and honored by all living things. And so the North Star.

Me? I was just captivated by the stars last night. And I liked the serenity the lake provided and the wonderful company I had. I liked listening to the tales, fictional or otherwise. I liked the night breeze.

And I liked sitting there by the exhaust fan as I tried to warm my feet.

1 comment:

CDV said...

yes, the earth rotates. because WE are not in the center of the universe. WE are merely a part of something bigger than us. Realizing that WE are not the center of everything but instead something greater is at the middle and in control is quite crucial for you my child. everything flows from there.

as to the serenity of the lake: im sure it was balanced by your sparkling and bubbly mood.

as to the wonderful company? im sure he found you incredible.

as to the exhaust fan warming your feet.. i think its cancerous. don't do that again.